As you may already know, New York Strip Steak is one of the most popular steaks in America today mainly because of the steaks marbling, tenderness, juiciness and its succulent full flavor. The strip steak is best when grilled however it will taste just as divine pan fried. Cooking it in the oven is a misdemeanour as far as I’m concerned!
- Make sure your strip steak is at room temperature before you start.
- Trim the fat that’s greater than half an inch or so, and cut through fat strip every 1 inch along.
- Lightly brush the strip steak with a good quality olive oil. Not to much mind as you do not want flare ups on the grill.
- Coat each side of the steaks with 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Pre heat the grill and take it to its highest temperature & then oil the grate.
- Place the strip steak on the grill for three minutes, then flip for another three minutes. Then do it again for a total cooking time of 12 minutes. Try not slide the steaks across the grill, pick them up with tongs. And do not flip them around. Be gentle with them
- Use the blunt end of the grilling fork to check for desired tenderness and remove when done to your satisfaction.
- For rare allow for 12 minutes and then just add a 2 minutes for each level of “doneness” if there is such a word!
Let the steak rest for 5 minutes, trim remaining fat and serve to your hungry crowd.
For Pan Frying:
– Rinse your new york steak with water and pat dry.
– Puncture steak with fork all over and on both sides.
– Sprinkle a generous portion of salt and pepper on both sides and then massage or rub in.
– Make sure pan is pre heated to medium heat and then add the cooking oil.
– Put the steak in the pan and place a lid over the pan.
– Let it cook for 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
– Open lid and gently turn the steak. Put the lid back on and return to heat, cook for another 2 minutes. Repeat this process twice more so total time 12 minutes.
– Remove from heat and when sizzling stops, remove lid and flip steak again put lid back on and return to heat
– Check for tenderness and if done serve.
Well there you have it. The nations favorite cooked to perfection. I hope you enjoy your new yourk strip steak!