Before moving on into the ingredients and preparation of Lentils and Cotechino let us clarify for those who don’t know that Cotechino is the name for an Italian pork beef sausage. Lentils and Cotechino can be made easily at your home and can be added to your meals quite easily.
The ingredients for this recipe will be simple and can be obtained easily. The ingredients as such are,
- Vegetable broth or beef broth, 200ml
- A single cotechino (about 500g weight)
- Lentils, 250 grams
- Carrots and Onions, one each
- Tomatoes, choose ripe tomatoes about 500 grams.
- Dry thyme, one tablespoon
- Extra virgin olive oil, four tablespoons
- Dry marjoram, one tablespoon
The procedure for the preparation of Lentils and Cotechino is quite simple in itself and you can prepare it quite easily. You need to plan that you will prepare this dish before hand because the first step takes some time.
- Take some lukewarm water and soak the lentils in it for about 12 hours.
- Prepare an X shaped incision in the tomatoes and scald them. Following this, you now need to pass the tomatoes through running cold water and peel them and dice them.
- Drain the lentils and put them into the pressure cooker. Peel the onions, grate the carrots and tomatoes and add the herbs along with them into the pressure cooker. Soak the mixture with the broth and season with the oil, salt and pepper. Cook the lentils properly and make sure that they are properly cooked since the time taken for cooking might be different depending on the size of the legumes.
- Take the cooked lentils and put them in a sauce pan.
- Take the cotechino and prick it with a needle and cover it with a litre of cold water inside the pressure cooker. Close the cooker with the lid and wait for the ring. Cook this for about 20 minutes more after the ringing.
- Drain the cotechino and mix it with the lentils. You are now ready to serve your dish.